Des has been a regular face at Christophers for a few years and we thought a focus on how he can assist members at the club may be a timely reminder of another great person & facility available to members of the club.
He graduated with MSc in Rehabilitation Science from University of Brighton – having previously gained a BSc Hons in Sports Rehabilitation from St Mary’s College, Twickenham, London and a Diploma in Health Education and Nursing Studies at The University of West of England, Bristol.
He spent most of his career working in the National Health Service, Private Clinics, Sports Clubs and Corporate Facilities. Desmond also worked as part of of the Back Care Team at Barts and the London NHS Trust.
“I actually studied Health Education and Physiotherapy because I thoroughly enjoy health science and rehabilitation and I have always loved and participated in many sports at different levels- therefore, to work in sport injuries seemed to be a natural progression following retirement from competitive sports due to knee injury.”
Treating athletes and non-sporting population is very satisfying because having worked in the NHS I have also treated a diverse group of people with varied health issues. Physiotherapy and Sports Injury Rehabilitation is about team work and using the current and best practice to achieve the clients’ goals. This is true whether the goal is to improve on personal best, compete at highest level or simple return to work without pain.
A few Conditions that are typically treated by a Chartered Physiotherapists like Des at the club are
- Sports Injuries
- Back Pain and Stiffness
- Ligament and Cartilage problems of the knee Neck and Shoulder Pain Tennis Elbow Sprains Arthritic Pain Repetitive Strain Injuries
- Work- Related Injuries
What sort of treatments do physiotherapist’s use?
As a certified therapist-combined treatments are used to achieve pain relief and promote healing if you are suffering or recovering from injury.
- Sports Injury Diagnosis
- Core Stability functional exercises
- Soft tissue manipulation
- Sports Massage
- Specialised treatment for chronic muscle and joint pain
- Back Care
- Education Exercise re-education & Muscle imbalance correction
- Taping Electrotherapy — A specialised treatment for sciatica or trap nerve Identification of risk factors for the development of the pain
- Pre and Post operative physiotherapy and rehabilitation Sports injury rehabilitation and exercise programme
You can read more information on the services that Des provides on christopherssquash.co.uk/other-classes/injury-clinic.